Australia depends on research, but governments repeatedly threaten research funds when setting federal budgets. This is short-sighted.
Research funding can't be turned on and off like a tap and it needs secure, long-term public support.
I pledge to respect research and I call on the government to:
- Respect research as fundamental to our country’s health and prosperity.
- Maintain public funding for all areas of research in the May federal budget. As well, we should lift Australia’s total spending on research and development to 3% of GDP, a target also set by the United States.
- Stop the ‘brain drain’ and back our researchers, scientists and educators by providing secure career pathways, more certain funding arrangements and the national infrastructure that equips people to make discoveries.
- Respect academic independence. The government should respect the process of peer-review and expert recommendations.
- Secure our future by ensuring children get a better understanding of science and research at school.
OUR GOAL: 20,000 signatures